Chicken, butternut squash and cashew nut stew
This protein rich, creamy meal is high in fibre, and even more so when you leave the skin on the butternut squash. Squash is also a fantastic source of powerful antioxidants, including vitamin C and beta-carotene. They play an important role in slowing down cellular damage and reducing inflammation.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 50 mins
Servings 4 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 chicken breasts diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 4 ripe tomatoes skinned and chopped
- 300ml bone broth (or water)
- 500g butternut squash, skinned and chopped
- 50g spinach
- 75g unsalted crushed cashew nuts
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions until they begin to soften. Add the chicken and stir for a further 5 mins.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the bone broth (or water) and tomatoes and bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add the butternut squash chunks and simmer for a further 10 mins.
- Toss in the cashew nuts and spinach and cook for 10 mins.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve.
You can enjoy this dish with a dollop of plain or coconut yoghurt for a creamier taste.