Chickpeas are a fantastic source of slow energy release carbohydrates, helping you feel fuller for longer. Packed with protein, minerals and vitamins, chickpeas are a very nutritious plant based option.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
For the Stew
- 1 tsp of plain coconut oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 300ml water
- 2 tbsp paprika
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- Bay leaf
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- Black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and then gently fry the onion for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add in the crushed garlic and fry for a 2-3 minutes more.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, water, paprika, cayenne and bay leaf. Turn up the heat and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer.
- Add the diced carrot, red pepper and chickpeas to the pan and stir them around so they are covered with the sauce. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the stew becomes too dry then add a little extra liquid
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and garnish with red onion and parsley
For vegans and vegetarians looking to turn this into a meal with all the essential amino acids needed by your body, serve with brown rice.