Top 5 steps to sprout broccoli seeds
Broccoli sprouts are an increasingly popular health food. They contain a rich source of the plant compound sulforaphane at 10-100 times more potent levels than adult broccoli. For those suffering with PMS and endometriosis, sulforaphane can help eliminate excess oestrogen in the body. It is also well documented to help both fight and prevent cancer.
Sprouting Broccoli Seeds:
- Soak two tablespoons of the seeds overnight in a bowl with warm water
- In the morning, discard the water and rinse the seeds well with fresh water.
- Leave the seeds in a sprouting jar in a dark cupboard for 3-5 days, rinsing the seeds 2-3 times daily and drain the water off each time.
- When the sprouts are 2cm long and have developed small yellow leaves, place the jar at an angle on a windowsill continuing to rinse and drain 2-3 times a day.
- After around 3 days, when the leaves turn a darker shade of green and have grown another 1cm in length, the sprouts are ready to be eaten. Refrigerate and eat within 2-3 days.
Sprouts can be eaten raw in salads or sandwiches or blended into a smoothie with fruits and vegetables.