Cacao porridge with cherries and coconut
This delicious chocolatey porridge is made using nutty-tasting steel cut oats that have been cut down into small pinheads. Their coarse texture makes them high in fibre, helping reduce cholesterol and whist improving motility through the gut. The oats are a rich source of B vitamins and iron, giving you a energy to start your day.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 5 mins
Servings 2 people
- 100g gluten-free steel cut oats
- 500ml milk of choice (almond works well) for a dairy free alternative
- 2 tbsp raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- handful of cherries or alternative berry
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- Put the oats, milk and cacao or cocoa powder into a small pan and keep in the fridge overnight
- In the morning, place on the hob over a medium heat, stirring regularly and cook for 3–5 minutes until the porridge is creamy and has thickened. You may need to add more milk or water works too for a lighter option
- Transfer to a bowl and top with the cherries and coconut flakes
Keeping a few bags of organic berries in the freezer keeps them fresh and always available when you want to add some colour and flavour to any porridge.