Top 5 foods to increase your energy and mood
When you are feeling down, you often crave sugar or refined carbohydrate snacks to try and give yourself a lift. Long-term however, you are not really doing yourself any favours as many of these snacks lack the nutrients your body needs to truly boost your mood and energy levels. Certain foods have been shown to improve brain health and the body’s happy hormone, serotonin, naturally.
Foods to Increase your Energy and Mood:
- Oily fish such as salmon and sardines contain omega-3 fatty acids. These have been shown to reduce inflammation and in some cases, depression.
- Beans and lentils are a great source of B vitamins, essential for boosting mood neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine and GABA.
- Coffee...yes, coffee is a great mood and energy booster if taken in moderation. It’s not right for everyone, but if you can tolerate it, try to have your cup in the morning to avoid sleep disturbances.
- Tryptophan is an amino acid responsible for producing serotonin. Serotonin also plays a key role in helping us sleep better. Tryptophan containing foods include milk, canned tuna, turkey, nuts and seeds.
- Oats have been shown to stabilise blood sugar levels, which is often key when addressing mood and energy swings. To maximise the benefits, add a source of protein and fat such as a handful of nuts or seeds to the porridge to get maximum benefits.
If you feel you could do with some support to help boost your energy and stop the dips in your day, get in touch for your complementary nutritional therapy session with me.